USC

Campus buildings cleared for activity after bomb threats

Grace Ford Salvatori Hall, Wallis Annenberg Hall and Sample Hall were cleared after the Los Angeles Police Department and the Department of Public Safety investigated the threat.

A group of several students walk through the building toward the exit.

This is an ongoing story that will be updated as more information is available.

Three campus buildings have been cleared for activity Thursday evening after the Los Angeles Police Department and the Department of Public Safety evacuated them due to a bomb threat earlier in the day.

The DPS alert was sent to the campus community at around 4:30 p.m., and the all-clear message came just after 5 p.m.

DPS Assistant Chief David Carlisle said the office received a call from an unknown male late Thursday afternoon who said bombs were placed in three campus buildings — Grace Ford Salvatori Hall, Sample Hall and Wallis Annenberg Hall. Hundreds of students evacuated from the buildings as LAPD and DPS searched for any suspicious packages. Officers found no credible threats.

Carlisle said LAPD will continue investigating the threat.

In the last few weeks, there have been similar threats at other universities across the country, including the University of Chicago, Cornell University, Brown University, Yale University, Ohio University and others. It is not yet clear if these threats are connected.