The Supreme Court will begin to hear oral arguments in favor of the preservation of DACA, which President Donald Trump tried to remove in 2017.
Beginning at 10 a.m., DACAmented families and allies walked out of schools and jobs in LA, as DACA faces its greatest challenge in the majority conservative Supreme Court. They were joined by supporters and allies like the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights (CHIRLA), the largest immigrant rights organization in California.
This walkout manifestation is expected to draw hundreds and is part of the #RiseForDACA campaign to defend the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. Students from about 10 high schools were expected to raise their voices, as well as college students, and workers in Los Angeles’s businesses.
Here is the timeline for today:
10:00 a.m. - Walkouts begin
- Students walk out of high schools including Garfield, Warren, Academia Avance, Marshall, and others.
11:00 a.m. - Poster Making Party and Rally at Molecule Man Monument
- Rally with students and community, street theatre
- Molecule Man sculpture at Federal Building, 255 E. Temple St., Los Angeles, 90012
- Program, testimonies by DACA recipients and non-DACA youth
- 255 E. Temple St., Los Angeles, 90012
- March from Molecule Man to MacArthur Park begins
- Route through street sidewalks takes the group on Judge Aliso Street/San Pedro St., to 2nd Street, to Spring, and then 7th Street West all the way to McArthur Park.
2:30 - 3:00 p.m.
- Arrival at MacArthur Park
For more information on the National Walkout for DACA and #RiseForDaca campaign, visit https://www.facebook.com/events/397669887837171/
For more information on #RiseForDACA campaign; to upload a story, videos, and photos; to donate and make a DACA renewal possible, or for information on DACA renewal, visit daca.chirla.org.